Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What's in a name?

Everyone knows how random I am... so this post shouldn't surprise you. I was laying in bed last night saying my prayers. When I was finished my mind started to wonder. Usually these wondering thoughts are what put me to sleep... just not last night.

See, I've recently redone our guest bedroom into a little girlie princess palace for Baylee and I angled the bed into one corner. (btw: Baylee still refuses to sleep in her big girl bed... so my efforts have been futile thus far.) So anyway, I was thinking how I could fill the dead space behind the bed.

Since my daughter has gotten on this kick of ALWAYS saying her FULL name: Ba-yee An Day. (Baylee Anne Gray) I thought I would order some of that really neat scroll stuff and have her name cut out and put Baylee on one side and Anne on the other....

Anyway, these thoughts lead me to thinking about my own name... Like how my parents came up with my full name and what thoughts went into choosing it. My biggest concern last night (not too sure why this became an issue last night of all nights, but like I said I'm random) was the fact that Ashley is such a "young" person name. I'm fine with my name right now... but can you really picture me as an OLD lady... I'm talking 95+, in the nursing home or retirement home with a young sounding name like "Ashley?" I mean, old people don't have names like Ashley... And God forbid that I actually live that long, am I going to have to wear a purple dress with red shoes and a red hat and decorate my wheel chair or my cain with a big red boa just to keep up with the young sounding name that I have????? I mean, I'm really worried about this folks!

Then it hit me.... Have I done this same thing to my child? Will her name fit her at 2 years old and then again at 92?

Promising I have never smoked crack,

2 comments:

Amanda said...

You're so funny! But I worried about this same thing...

I think popular names go in cycles. In about 60 years, the nursing homes will be innundated with Ashleys, Amandas, Jennifers and Jessicas. But with the next wave, they’ll see all the Aidens, Jaydens, Braydens… I love that right now a lot of the “in” names are what we think are “old” and “classic” names. Lydia, Evelyn (my Mamu and her sister’s names), Amelia, Madeline, Olivia are all making a comeback, decades after they were last the cool names.

So don’t spend your sleepless nights worrying about Baylee. She’ll be fine, and she’ll love her name and everyone around her will love her name. After all, it’s the girl – or woman she’ll become - that will make Baylee, Baylee. It’s not what’s in a name, it’s what’s behind it. :)

Kathy said...

Yes! Well said Amanda.

Just like she said, names go in cycles. When you are in the nursing home you probably won't be the only Ashley there. ;)

Funny that you posted this....Courtney had homework last night and we had to write about why we named her what we named her and if it had special meaning. I thought it was a cool assignment.