Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Nannie

Today marks three years since my Nannie's passing. I choose to celebrate her life by remembering all of the wonderful memories I have of her. I can say that no one had a Nannie quite like mine. She was the very best gardener I've ever know. I still remember pulling up to Nannie & Papaw's house and always making a point to look out the window of the car to admire her garden... which by the way had to have been over an acre big! I can remember her having all of her grandkids (yes, all 8 of us) lined up on the back sidewalk by the pool and serving us watermellon, and of course, teaching us how to spit the seeds out! I remember her telling Papaw that she was tired of taking care of the swimming pool and that if he didn't want to take care of it she was going to fill it up with dirt and make a garden out of it. I do believe she grew some record size tomatoes in that "new" garden of hers! She was a women of truth. When I was in college she would always send me $25 dollars on my birthday with a card saying: "Use this money to take Byron out for a Hamburger!" She had no idea, but that was the ONLY time every year that I could aford to buy him dinner! The first year I taught I had an Intro to Horticulture class that the previous teacher had started. She was the first person I called, and without fail, every month she would send me letter after letter on things I could do in the garden to teach my students. I still have them. She probably would have been estatic to know that I share her skills of flower arranging. Every time I see a beautiful arrangement I think of her and all those many years she spent behind the counter of her Flower Shop. I always LOVED the way she smelled like the flowers. I sometimes find myself in a situation or have a question, where Nannie would be the only person who would know the anwer. I know that if she was still here that Baylee and Madelyn would be the loves of her life. She is probably the reason they are here with us. I can just see her up in Heaven telling God to send those precisious gifts down here to us. I'm so very thankful I had a grandmother as wonderful as Margurite Cannon.


So very thankful for the time we have,
Ashley

3 comments:

Amanda said...

You are so right - we are so lucky to have had her in our lives. I also find myself thinking "Nannie would know" all the time. I can't tell you how many times Dad has said that to me, too.
My mom gave me an angel ornament a long time ago and I just hung it on the light pull in one of the spare bedrooms when we bought the house. That bedroom became Madelyn's, and the other day I read the inscription on the ornament. It says "Angels danced the day you were born." Oh, how true. Our girls have a guardian angel who was an angel on earth, too.

Alicia said...

Ashley this is the sweetest post! Mother even has memories of her garden!

Andrea said...

I can't smell a flower without thinking of her myself. I miss her so much :(